How much does it cost to furnish an apartment? If you are in the market to furnish an apartment, you have plenty to consider. What does the apartment come with already? Are there integrated appliances that will save you from having to buy certain things?
The cost to furnish an apartment will depend on a range of factors. Here are some considerations to help you determine how much it costs to furnish an apartment –
What are the major items to be included in furnishing an apartment?
First, get a floor plan of the exact apartment you will live in to see if the furniture you plan to purchase will fit. The major furnishing items include sofas, beds, dining/kitchen tables and chairs, lighting, and TV. Depending on where you decide to buy furniture from, you could go for more budget-focused furniture or you could splurge on more luxurious pieces to meet your lifestyle needs. Here are some cost ideas for each –
- Sofa – If you choose a 3-seater sofa, expect to pay upwards of $500, or more if you want an entire set.
- Beds – Beds start from $400 but mattresses are usually sold separately and can cost between $200 and $1,000+.
- Dining Tables – typically start from $500 for a budget set and will go up depending on what you want. You might be able to get a small kitchen table for a few hundred dollars and up.
- Chairs – Don’t forget you will need chairs for your table. Expect to pay $50 or more per chair.
- Lighting – Most apartments require extra lamps and floor lighting which can cost $50 plus per piece
- TV – It can cost $200 plus depending on size
- Dresser – It can cost $150 plus depending on size. You also likely have other accent pieces, and don’t forget the need to buy art work and decoration.
How much does it cost to furnish an overall apartment?
The cost to furnish your apartment overall will depend on its size. Larger apartments will cost you more because there is more space to cover and more bedrooms. Here are some overall costs to keep in mind –
- Furnishing studio apartments start from $2,400
- Furnishing one-bedroom apartments start from $4,000
- Furnishing two-bedroom apartments start from $6,000. These costs are considered if you need to furnish your apartments from scratch.
How to budget for your apartment furnishing?
In order to budget for our apartment furniture, it’s important to consider your own needs – Set a budget based on how much you can afford and are willing to spend – depending on how long you intend to stay in an apartment, you could spend as little or as much as you want.
Choose furniture based on how long you intend to live in the apartment – if you move regularly, you may want to choose more budget pieces that are not expensive to replace in case of damage during the move. Choose how much furniture you need based on the size of your apartment – for smaller sized apartments; you need fewer pieces of furniture so your overall costs will be lower.
Other than these furnishings, you will also need to budget for additional items like cutlery, crockery, dishes, appliances, televisions and much more. It’s important to create a checklist of every item you want to include in your apartment along with an expected expense for each item so you can properly budget for these expenses, which can add up over time.
The better planned you are with your budgeting, the better position you will be in when it comes to sticking to your expected expenses.